I am so terribly tempted at times by cake! When I was pregnant, the only thing that could curb my pregnancy-craving was “rom-balls”. It’s a danish cake, essentially made out of day-old cake, rom essence, chocolate (no real rom, don’t worry!!) and lots and lots of butter and sugar… not exactly low carb or healthy!
But OMG it’s tasty!
Eating low carb doesn’t have to be a hastle or no fun.
There are ways to eat treats every now and then, you just have to be smart about what you eat!
What I do now, when I get a craving!
Firstly I think to myself; how bad is this craving?! Can a piece of cheese or cup of coffee do?
If not, I make sure, I have to do something active to “get” this treat. Whether I have to walk to the store to buy some dark chocolate or bake something low carb in my kitchen. This way my craving may be over when I finish my errand.
When I get home and my craving’s still there – I start baking.
Here is my favorite Low carb Muffin recipe. I prefer to use blueberries, but you can substitute these for any berries you want.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar - I use "Sukrin"
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and grease your muffin tin - or use paper liners if your tin isn't non-stick.
- Whisk together: Almond flour, sweetner, coconut flour, baking powder, lemon zest and the salt.
- Stir in the eggs, almond milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the blueberries and fold them gently into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 30-40 min.
- Let cool and ENJOY!
This curbs my craving perfectly and best of all, I know it’s good for me!
Have you tried remaking your favorite muffin-recipe to lowcarb? A good tip is to substitute the regular flour for almond or coconut flour and the sugar for a sugar substitute.
Honestly I don’t think it makes that big a difference in taste and knowing I’m not going to feel bloated and lethargic after eating, makes it a no-brainer!
What is your favorite muffin recipe? Share it below so we all can enjoy!